Saturday, September 15, 2007

Claude McKay Poems-9/17

I definitely noticed that McKay seemed to be speaking to a white audience in many of the poems. In fact, “Dominant white” is specifically addressed to them, as he uses ‘you’ in the poem. He certainly seems angry, but at the same time, he seems to believe that a higher power (in the case of this poem) God will eventually bring justice, as his refrain; “And God shall humble you down to the dust.”

Although the wording in many of the other poems is not as explicit, I get the impression that many of them are saying the very same thing. Such as in “The White House” when he is obviously expressing his anger, but knows he cannot act upon it.

Oh I must search for wisdom every hour,
Deep in my wrathful bosom sore and raw,
And find it in the superhuman power
To hold me to the letter of your law!
Oh I must keep my heart inviolate
Against the potential poison of your hate.

Similarly, I think “The Negro Dancers” is also intended to reach a white audience, but for different reasons. In this case I think “The Negro Dancers” showcases the talent and future potential of African Americans and points out that, regardless of the troubles they face, they still find joy in life. Furthermore, it seems to express that African Americans are determined to keep progressing. Perhaps in this way, it is intended to scare a white audience as much as the wrath of God does in his other poems.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

I agree the McKay's poems do address the white society. I thought "The Dominant White" was extremely powerful using detail and descriptions to convey his message. I think this brought the poem to life and gave a vivid picture of how cruel whites were towards African Amerians. I think "The White House" also reveals the power whites had, but instead of letting them dominate African Americans, he describes how he will search for wisdom and stand up for himself and his race. I think this shows the courage and determination that African Americans had.

nina said...

I also agree that Mckay is speaking to the white audience definitly when using "you" in "Dominant White". The other thing also that you metion was "negore dancers" was a good poem had a positive mood that the african americans can still have a good time even though the whites put them down.

washingtonheights said...

Yes Claude is definetly very angry against the "white devil", even though he doesnt quite put it in those terms. It seems that throughout most of his poems he speaks of chains being on his peopl;e (not literally) and the whites the great cause of this. I wonder what personal experiences he went through to get to this. Does he have any respect for or any white friends? I understand his pain as he writes strongly and descriptively... i understand his race has been suppressed, but wonder what drives him to think that a change wont come? It is especially striking to me as jamaicans dont seem to be the ones feeling the stigma as africans are usually the ones that i notice with more of an appetite for appealing the white predjudice.